What Is A Workstation Laptop?
Last Updated on June 1, 2021 by Gabriel Goddy
We’ll be talking about workstation laptops in this guide. If you’re a computer enthusiast, you might already know what a workstation laptop is. However, if you don’t, then you should read through this guide, and you’ll find out.
What is a workstation laptop?
Before we get into the amazing capabilities of these tools, it’s important to clarify what qualifies as a true workstation laptop. While laptops of the past focused more on being light and offering impressive battery life, this meant that they usually lacked the more advanced processors and RAM needed for the most involved computing processes. They also got hot easily, and it was a challenge to cool down any portable machine that could handle multiple processes at once.
There has been a big turnaround in recent years, however, as the most recent laptops substantially advanced the computing game. You can get incredible processors, amazing memory, completely expandable storage, and display options like never before.
The only thing these new mobile workstations are lacking is a larger screen, but it’s easy to incorporate external PC monitors and accessories to turn your laptop into a work configuration nearly identical to those that desktops offer. In fact, some of the more advanced laptop workstations do more than a typical PC.
Ways To Use Your Workstation Laptop
When battery life, portability, and efficiency are your top goals, a laptop delivers nicely. Let’s take a look at the most notable uses for these mobile workstations.
Photo professionals have unique needs. In addition to requiring computers with powerful processors that can meet the challenge of popular photo editing software, they need a true-to-life image of the projects they’re creating.
After a photo is taken, placed on the portable workstation, and loaded up in programs like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, GIMP, or Corel, it’s essential that each pixel displays with the purest color and brightness possible. Editing photos takes a trained eye and the right tools, and a capable laptop can do this just as well as a desktop PC. What should photographers look for in workstation laptops?
With so many of the current gaming events taking place all over the world, it’s not possible to stay tethered to a desktop PC. Most professional gamers prefer to take their gear with them and use their own gaming workstation laptops to compete.
These workstations are designed to keep cool when running for long periods of time while holding a battery charge for impressive lengths. The right gaming laptop can also accommodate the latest virtual reality gear and offers appropriate ports for all kinds of peripheral connections.
Here are the must-have perks of a reliable and portable gaming laptop workstation:
- Cutting-edge graphics that can fit inside a thinner laptop frame
- Stays cool and quiet, even after running for hours
- The latest generation of processors, such as the 8th Generation Intel® line
- Upgraded memory at a minimum of 16GB, and SSD storage options
- High-resolution displays, at a minimum of 1080p with a 144 Hz refresh rate (A 4K display is preferred for maximum clarity and realism)
- Ample ports for hooking up HDMI, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, Ethernet, and more
- Compatibility with VR-ready products and gear
- Spill-resistant, full-size keyboard that can handle all of life’s accidents
For a gaming solution that doubles as a workstation, go with the pick that game creators and VR developers use to make the titles you love most; the HP ZBook 17-inch mobile workstation, the world’s most powerful workstation.
- Video and animation
Editing large video files used to require a stationary desktop with a loud fan and hot processor. Well, we’ve come a long way toward freedom of movement for directors, editors, and animators who need to work on set or take their projects out in the field.
- Updated components that can edit and render the largest files without dragging the system, such as NVIDIA® Quadro® graphics and the latest Intel Core™ i9 processors
- Security features that keep your work and private data protected, including a one-push HP Sure View privacy screen and RAID backup storage functionality
- Incredible laptop display options, like the HP DreamColor Display that shows your video work in 600 nits of brightness with more than 1 billion colors and 100% Adobe RGB coverage
- Durable laptop body that can sustain the active lifestyle of the typical creator and offers the perks of both a fully functioning tablet and a laptop keyboard
When you need powerful editing and rendering tools, nothing comes close to the HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 laptop workstation, which also has convertible body styling for ease of use.
- 3D rendering
Make the things that bring dreams to life. 3D creators are in for a treat with the newest lines of workstations that can go wherever your latest project happens. Whether you work in the arts, the medical field, mechanical engineering, or you just love to create as a hobby, the right portable workstation can make worldwide travel and up-to-the-minute tech achievements possible.
Check out these must-have features of the best portable workstations for 3D pros:
- Easy access to inner compartments for quick upgrades to the processor, memory, and RAM so you can make changes to components as technology advances
- Compatibility with design and development through complex programs like Catia and Siemens NX
- Durability under the most stressful work conditions and backed by the rigorous military standard test most HP Z workstation products have easily surpassed
- Tools for working with groups of any size in any space, including the HP Collaboration Keyboard that lets you connect with teams worldwide
While many of the HP Z products are made to work with top 3D rendering tools, the HP ZBook 15-inch workstation laptop is a solid choice. If you’re looking for a bit more power, upgrade to the HP ZBook 17-inch workstation laptop, considered the world’s most powerful mobile workstation based on maximum processor, graphics, memory, and power supply available for the model today.
Students live busy lives. When they’re not studying, they’re hanging out on social media, watching movies, and video chatting with family back home. That’s why the best laptop workstations can handle the varied tasks that college kids will do on any given day, such as research, calculations, and project creation. Because space is an issue, it’s also desirable to have a laptop that can double as a tablet. Convertible models are ideal for giving today’s students the best of both worlds.
Here is what to look for in a workstation for students:
- Windows-based software suite included, along with the top apps for productivity, creating, and social media
- Convertible styling, so that it can be used as a tablet with a pen and drawing tools, and as a notebook with a full-sized keyboard for endless writing sessions
- Brilliant graphics for displaying entertainment and video chats with friends
- Freedom-focused battery life, up to 11 hours for the full college day
- Durability so that it can take all the bumps that active campus life throws at it
- Sleek and modern design
Features Of Workstation Laptops
While the classification varies from brand to brand, there are a few notable features of a mobile workstation that are typical across the industry. Most will have many, if not all, of the following components.
- Multiple processor cores
The ability to handle many programs at one time, especially those that use a tremendous amount of memory, is the hallmark of a mobile workstation. Expect the specifications of a model to have an 8th Generation Intel® i5 or higher, or a comparable processor from another brand.
The same qualities that make a CPU great for gaming give a mobile workstation the power to handle intense tasks like 3D rendering and manipulating large data sets.
- Solid-state drives (SSD)
Unlike standard hard drives, an SSD has no moving parts. They work faster and generally last longer while standard HDDs can be more prone to physical failure. An SSD is also designed to handle the workload of systems that never stop and run programs 24 hours a day.
- Better GPU (graphics processing unit)
While all laptops have graphics cards or processors, a mobile workstation will have a much-upgraded GPU to help relieve the CPU of some of the work in displaying graphics on your display.
This means more life-like output and less lag for those graphic-intense projects like 3D rendering and CAD.
- ECC memory
Unlike typical computers, which can’t read or resolve single-bit errors, an ECC Memory (error-correcting code) can detect and correct data corruption so that sensitive processes can continue.
Scientific and arithmetic processes, for example, can’t tolerate even the smallest interruption in their calculations, so this type of memory is needed for day-to-day computing tasks in those industries.
- RAID (redundant array of independent disks)
A RAID system uses more than one hard drive to store information, which decreases the likelihood that a crash will wipe your system. This makes processing and storing data easier and more efficient.
Not all of these features will be available on all mobile workstations, but the industry standard is to have at least a few of them on most of the entry-level models.
Remember the days when you had to choose between portability and power? This is no longer an issue. With today’s powerful workstation laptops, you can create, share, game, and invent without trading in the convenience of a notebook. There’s no reason not to buy a workstation laptop.